Scambaiting is not something everyone wants to do; nor is it something everyone wants to watch. But I feel a responsibility to spend time with these criminals so that they can’t instead be stealing from others.
This is the video of my first adventure into the world of hampering a criminal.
Scammers target me often. So often that I recently decided to create a public Facebook album specifically to highlight the ‘friend requests’ I get from fake accounts. There are also a few Instagram message requests that I haven’t yet responded to: Maybe I’ll check out that one promising me an $80.000.000 grant… (Is that 80 bucks?)
I don’t have any special computer skills, or a Virtual Machine, but I’ve seen some scambaiting videos on YouTube, and thought it would be fun to try. But I did not imagine I’d be lucky enough to get such a classic cold call so soon. And I can’t believe how lucky we were that he called at a time that was so convenient to pull out a video camera and settle in to waste as much of his time as possible. Next time we will be even more ready.
IMPORTANT: NEVER FOLLOW THE SCAMMER’S INSTRUCTIONS. I did NOT actually type any of his instructions into the boxes he told me to use. Instead, I looked up the key words in Google Images so that I could figure out something to say when he asked what was on my screen.
- My FB album of Fake Friends is public. You can see more posts by selecting ‘Feed View’.
- PS: I really do have a PhD about BS detection. The thesis is freely accessible at https://eprints.utas.edu.au/23296/
- My Instagram is about education and book/movie reviews rather than scams, but here’s the link anyway. Some of my followers are fake profiles – see if you can guess which ones! LOL https://www.instagram.com/kerri.odonnell.984/
- Oscar’s instagram is https://www.instagram.com/tangerine_fluff_machine/
- When not editing my videos for me, Shannon is an artist and law student. Her Instagram is https://www.instagram.com/shannontuscanylee/
- Thanks to bensound.com for the music.
If you have your own stories or tips to help waste scammers’ time, please let us know in the comments. I want to do this again, and to make each time better and better!